- It looks like “Article 50” will be triggered soon as amendments asked for by the House of Lords have been added. They include the safeguarding of the rights of EU citizens currently living in the UK. Moreover, the Queen has given her “royal assent” to the Article 50 bill. Article 50 seems as if it is to be triggered by the end of this month as planned.
- Brexit has inspired Frexit, France’s withdrawal from the EU as Front National leader,Marine Le Pen, has proposed a possible Frexit if she is elected as part of her presidential campaign.
- Chocolate prices could rise if the UK does not secure a trade deal post-Brexit, according to Mars’ top boss. She warns that prices could rise due to the fact that tariffs could rise up to 30% without the presence of EU member states.
- Theresa May’s “Go hard or go home” stance on Brexit has annoyed many politicians, many of them Labour MPs. Jeremy Corbyn (Labour leader) has even been attacked with a vote of no confidence by his shadow cabinet as he failed to prevent Brexit.
- Has the prices of your favourite snack gone up? Are you paying more for things than you used to? This is because of the exchange rate of the pound sterling has dropped drastically since the 2016 EU Referendum. Moreover, financial forecasters, also known as economists, predict that the big blow will come when Brexit actually happens. After then the economists predict pound will take a while to regain its value.
- Our penultimate update is: Scotland’s First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon, warns of another Scottish Referendum if Brexit happens.
- Finally, last but not least, there surprisingly is a movement arising known as Londependence which aims for London to be independent from England and the UK due to Brexit. The London Independence Party, who were founded the day after the 2016 EU Referendum, are supporters of this movement. On the day after the 2016 EU Referendum, the London Independence Party were suggesting London joining or at least being linked with Scotland after Brexit.
By Saaleh 7H