Have you ever sat down in an aeroplane and thought “this is going to be a long ride, let me put my headphones in and listen to music.” Well think again. A woman was sleeping on a flight from Berlin to Melbourne when she woke from the deafening sound of a loud bang close to her ear. “I just grabbed my face which caused the headphones to go around my neck. I continued to feel burning so I grabbed them off and threw them on the floor, they were sparking and had small amounts of fire.” The flight attendance crew had come rushing in to help, they put out the fire by pouring a bucket of water on the headphones, but by that time the plastic and battery had melted onto the floor. “For the remainder of the flight, passengers endured the smell of melted plastic, burnt electronics and burnt hair,” said the ATSB. Reporters found that it was likely caused by lithium-ion batteries.
By: Arman 7I